Whalen Dermatology of Pittsburgh is now offering cosmetic laser treatments
- Whalen Dermatology will be opening appointments for anyone seeking COSMETIC INTENSE PULSED LIGHT (IPL) or photo facial treatment for brown and red spots.
- Utilizing radiofrequency, we can now also perform skin tightening treatments to nearly any area including the neck.
We are using the newest technology – the RIPLE IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) and RF (Radiofrequency) platform to deliver treatments to anywhere on the body for the following cosmetic concerns:
- Red spots or telangiectasias (spider vessels)
- Brown spots = flat or smooth (sun spots, age spots, thin keratoses – but NOT MOLES)
- Chronically sun damaged skin (to even out skin tone by treating red and brown skin over an entire area such as the face, neck, chest, or hands)
- Sagging or aging skin and minor wrinkles – especially suitable for the neck or chest utilizing radiofrequency technology (like a THERMAGE treatment).
- Laser hair removal
Most importantly, you may not have any NEW SUN EXPOSURE (i.e. tanned skin) in the treatment areas. We recommend either covering with clothing, and/or wearing SPF > 60 broad spectrum sunscreens and reapplying every 1 hour to treatment areas if outdoors for 6 weeks prior to treatment. If you are tan, there is a greater risk of adverse effects including scarring or white patches.
You CANNOT have IPL/RF treatment if you are:
- Pregnant at time of treatment
- Have any medical conditions or devices that could worsen/flare with light treatment/radiofrequency such as:
- Epilepsy (history of seizures or sensitivity to flashing light)
- Pacemaker or defibrillator
- Lupus, Dermatomyositis, Porphyria
- Taking/using any of the following medications for at least 2-4 weeks prior to treatment:
- Oral antibiotics=doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline; erythromycin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin
- Acne treatments such as = isotretinoin, Accutane
- Methotrexate, Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure medication)
- Anticoagulants such as aspirin, NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Advil, Excedrin)
- Prescription anticoagulants such as Xarelto, Coumadin, Plavix, heparin,
- Antiaging or acne topical serums/creams like tretinoin, Retin-A, Altreno, retinol or vitamin C
- High dose vitamin such as vitamin E, vitamin C, omega 3’s or fish oil (multivitamin is ok)
Call today for an appointment.
Pricing ranges from $295-995 per treatment depending on area and goals of treatment. Repeat treatment may be necessary for some, and this will be at a reduced rate typically 1-2 months following initial treatment.
Following treatment, you will have pink-red sensitive skin (like a sunburn) and any red or brown treated areas of skin will seem bruised, darker brown or purple as the laser resolves the lesion. This is normal but may lead to MINOR SOCIAL DOWNTIME for 1-2 weeks following treatment. Most people can go to work and perform normal functions with only minor temporary cosmetic changes at the sites of treatment. Please schedule with this in mind.
Click to download the forms below.